Monday, June 27, 2011

Devotion Introduction

“But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”  
~Matthew 13:24

Reading God’s word is fruitless unless we think about it and ponder it until we understand what is being said, what it means, and how it applies to our life. When I study the word, I start with reading the passage and jotting down questions or thoughts that come to mind as I go through the scriptures. After finishing the day’s reading, I meditate on the word, think about the questions that arose, and then gather my thoughts into a summary or two based on the length of the passage. Finally, I pull out the lessons that I like to remember from the reading, followed by prayer based on how the Lord is guiding me with the lessons. I am by no means an expert on scripture analysis, I am just sharing what questions come to my mind, what thoughts form, and the lessons I have learned.
Because of the amount of time I put into a passage, it could take me several days to work my way through the entire process. Lord willing, my plan is to spread my devotionals over several posts as I go through the text. Devotions will be posted under the link on the top navigation bar. Please feel free to go through the material and comment as desired.
May the seed of God’s word blossom fully in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment